Island House Back
Situated on the site of what is believed to be Tiree’s only castle, which originally stood on an island in the loch. The original dry stone dyke which surrounded the castle is still in existence.
The basis of the present building was erected in 1748 by the 3rd Duke of Argyll to house his factor and at that time a causeway was built which meant that the house was actually no longer on an island although the name “Island House” remained.
The building has been altered and extended over the years and at one time had a court room and a prison cell added. The present Duke of Argyll owns Island House which has been upgraded to superior self catering accommodation.